Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lady Gaga releases Express Yourself.... I mean Born This Way




Pop sensation Lady Gaga released the first single off her much-anticipated upcoming album, "Born This Way." The track is produced by Red One,featues powerful vocals and melodies ripped straight from Madonna's 1989 hit, "Express Yourself."
It's not the first time Gaga has borrowed from pop staples of the past: "Alejandro," the third and final single off her most-recent album, "The Fame Monster," also "borrowed" heavily from Madonnas "Like a Prayer" and Ace of Base's 1994 rendition of "Don't Turn Around." 

I understand that everyone has influences. I also understand that you may write a song that ends up sounding too familiar to another song. You should however have the artistic integrity to not release that song or at least change it so its not a blatant rip off. 


I'll be the first to admit that Lady Gaga is talented. She has a powerful voice, she's great on the piano and I'm sure she can write a song. Has she gotten so successful so quickly that all she has around her are "yes men". No one in her inner circle that would tell her that her new single sounds way too much like "Express Yourself"?  Or does she choose to not listen? Anyway I hope the rest of her cd is much better than her first single.... Not that I'm going to buy it. I'm sure I'll have to hear it on the radio for the next two years though. PS. Call me Lady Gaga so I can work on your next record.

No comments:

Post a Comment